January 17 - Call closed, announcement coming shortly! Participating artists will receive information about the show as soon as possible, thanks to everyone who applied!
CALL FOR ARTISTS! AN EXHIBITION ABOUT PERSONAL NARRATIVE, TALES, STORYTELLING and MEMORY. CALL ENDS JANUARY 16th!
I believe in synchronicity. I notice patterns. I am comforted by cycles and I find power in familiarity. Every time something new appears, I silently relate it to something I've seen before and remember everything that's come before it.
One, Two, Three, Four... I count the times I inhale while I walk and make my breath coincide with my steps. This morning I woke up and the words "terra firma" were in my head. These words will not go away and I find myself whispering them as I work. What does it mean? Maybe it's residue from a dream I had. Maybe it's something I'll find out later today. I'm not sure. I'll keep my eyes open.
The numbers four and seven seem important. I should remember that when I pick out dates for traveling. My phone number has them both, as does my address. The plane ticket I just bought is flight number 047. The only seat left is B21. I do not like that number.
Everyone is wearing brown shoes except for Jenny. Hers are red. This whole coffee shop is filled with people with brown shoes. Why are hers red...? I make a mental note.
An Exhibition About Story
(5th Anniversary Exhibition & Expansion Celebration)
Opening March 3 • 7-10pm
at Light Grey Art Lab
118. E. 26th Street #101
Minneapolis Minnesota 55406
We have amazing news! This March, we're expanding our space and our programming! We're turning 5 years old and decided it was time to do it up, make some decisions and add some things we've been dreaming about to the programs at Light Grey! Since 2012, we've been HUGE advocates for trying to create fun, unique projects that are easy to be a part of, with the mission to unite people, showcase the cool things creatives are doing, and to build real relationships across distant locations, different backgrounds and practices. It's been a crazy 5 years and this new exhibition celebrates the community we've built together and stories of growth, individuality, and memory.
For the month of March, Tobeyou celebrates YOUR STORY.
We are looking for artists interested in making work about themes important to you and art about personal narratives, themes, dreams, memories and the journey. Who are you? What is important to you right now or always? What is a theme that can not be shaken from your practice. What is a story you've been dying to tell. How do we get to know how you think, what you feel, or who you are by what you make. Tell us a story. Your story.
This exhibition will feature works by creators in the medium of their choice. We welcome narrative formats, comics, books, zines. We welcome sculptural art-objects, embroideries, jewelry, and other unique formats. As always, drawings, paintings, posters, and other 2d works are always a pleasure. As long as the work is "passionately yours" we welcome it.
The purpose of this exhibition is to get to know the community behind the works. And to share the humanity behind all of the creative energy we've had the pleasure of working alongside for the past 5 years. We will be asking each artist to write a small statement about their work to accompany the piece inside the gallery with the hopes that visitors will hear your voice, learn about you and the themes in your work, and get to know a piece of you, too.
TO BE INVOLVED, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW WITH YOUR NAME, EMAIL AND LINKS LIKE THIS by JANUARY 16th:
<Please do not send any email entries to us because they may get buried! Please use the comments section of this blog post! :) >
IMPORTANT DATES / INFO TO CONSIDER:
• We are looking forward to any medium! For this exhibition, we will be showcasing ORIGINALS AND PRINTS! We are looking forward to artists wishing to send framed originals, books / comics / zines or any sculptural items because we've got a brand-spankin-new space that we are just dying to use for your beautiful items!
• Artists are welcome to send an edition of works (up to 6 copies / versions of their work!) The additional copies will be available during the opening for visitors to buy on the spot and take home with them! More information on multiples will be sent to the artists as soon as the show has been juried!
• WE WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO BE HERE FOR THE OPENING! This is a HUGE party and we are hosting a meet and greet for any artists that can be present! If you will be joining us for the show, we would love to help coordinate a visit! More info on this will also be sent to all participating artists! Let us introduce you to the other creatives that will be here!
• THE WORK SHOULD ARRIVE TO THE GALLERY by FEBRUARY 17th. We'll be assisting everyone with getting things here and setting them up for the show!
• Artists will have the opportunity to send digital works to be printed / framed in-house if you are unable to ship works from afar within the deadline above. We will help you figure out the best way to showcase your work.
• The final list of participating artists will be contacted / posted on January 18th and all artists will be sent an email with everything they'll need to know about participating including pricing work, sending work to the gallery, and anything else! Thanks so much!
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REACH OUT WITH ANY QUESTIONS!
Thanks again and here's to a new year of exciting possibilities!
The Light Grey Team