LIGHT GREY ART LAB ICELAND RESIDENCY Mini-recap (1 of 4)
Every year we head to Iceland for an incredible adventure that changes us for the better. Iceland is a magical place with a long history, a fanciful mythology, and an abundance of breathtaking natural wonders.This year we explored with four unique groups of exceptional creatives from all around the world - with backgrounds in animation, design, advertising, photography, academia, visual development, and much more.
TEAM MERLIN explored the Northern-most coast with us, bringing with them a wealth of perspectives. We found out that we have a lot in common - many of us having been instructors in our past (or in addition to our current practices), many of us have had a thirst for adventure that has taken over our lives in the last few years that could only be satiated by traveling to crazy corners of the earth, and many of us continue to battle balancing all of our creative desires and ambitions -- trying to push ourselves further, faster, better.
TEAM MERLIN: Adam Davies, Anne-Louise Erambert, Avner Geller, Britton Robert Snyder, Gabriel Garza, Ingrid Kallick, Isabella Mazzanti, Jeff A. Menges, John DeLucca, Justin Oaksford, Meg Hunt, Mike Freeman, Rory Phillips, Francesca Buchko, and Vitor Lima Mazon.
The topics we discussed included
• stop-motion armatures
• creative embroidery
• creative character design and people-watching
• changing courses and following one's true passions
• building worlds and making work inspired by culture
• evolution and change as it pertains to ourselves and our work
• creating moveable paper dolls
• the golden age of illustration and why it's important to archive for future generations
• movies as inspiration for illustration - lighting, cinematic composition, and storytelling
• making independent video games from scratch
• progressing beyond one's perceived boundaries and infusing one's practice with new inspiration
• RPG character building
• The growth mindset vs. the fixed mindset and how we create our own limitations
• Instant photography and capturing etherial moments
...and much more.
If you'd like to join us for next year's Iceland Residency Program, please check out the program details here. Applications are open through August 15th!
Check out all of the photos from the program here! We'll be updating with the other teams as we edit photos!
Thanks to TEAM MERLIN for being amazing team-mates on our adventure in the North!