LIGHT GREY ART LAB ICELAND RESIDENCY Mini-recap (2 of 4)
This year we explored with four unique groups of exceptional creatives from all around the world - with backgrounds in animation, design, advertising, photography, academia, visual development, and much more.
TEAM TERN explored the Southern coast of Iceland climbing along pouring waterfalls and remote mountain vistas. They searched for puffins and hidden wreckage on the basalt beaches, sketched and napped in the mossy fields, and become fast friends over late night workshops, car karaoke, and heat-to-heart conversations about creative endeavors. This team had an affinity for exploration, a love of landscape painting, and a huge sense of adventure that brought us all together to explore, make work, and reflect amongst the dramatic background of Iceland.
TEAM TERN: Anna Filbert, Carisa Swenson, Emily Lubanko, Heidi Unkefer, Sishir Bommakanti, Syd Weiler, Tiffany Turrell, Zackary Filbert, Rafael Mayani, and Zoe Persico, led by Jenny Bookler, Lana Crooks, and Claire Hummel.
The topics we discussed included:
• Icelandic Folklore and geographical importance
• creative problem solving - seeking diverse solutions
• exploration and visual language in landscape painting
• personal growth, seeking new projects, and art limitations
• dolls as sacred objects in history and culture
• conspiracy versus good storytelling - dreams and the subconscious
• creating moveable paper dolls
•color, light, and shapes of emotion in background painting
• personal symbology in the tarot
• passion projects, collaboration, and reinvention
• overcoming obstacles -- when your art has a life of its own
...and much more.
We'll be updating with the other teams as we edit photos!
Thanks to TEAM TERN for being amazing team-mates on our adventure in the SOUTH.